Pico de Gallo, or “Roosters’ Beak”, so named because of the tiny dice of the vegetables that constitute it. It’s taco night, but this versatile Mexican salad makes a great accompaniment for all kinds of grilled meats, fish and chicken or as just a dip for nachos. Easy to make if your knife skills are up to par (and great practice if they’re not)!
This will keep for about three days, but is best eaten shortly after making it. After a day or two in the fridge, there will be some excess liquid in the salsa which you can just pour out before serving.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded, finely diced
- 3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
1. Combine all in a bowl and toss well.
2. Refrigerate, covered, for a couple of hours to allow the flavours to combine.
3. Adjust salt to taste.