My wife had a rough day at work yesterday. When she came home, she asked me to make her comfort food stand by, Spaghetti with meat sauce. And it had to be quick! I rarely make it the same way twice and this time was no exception. I used what I had in the house.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly diced
- 1 stalk celery, roughly diced
- 1/2 medium carrot, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs. (700 g) ground beef
- 2 28 oz.(798ml) cans whole Italian tomatoes packed in puree, preferably San Marzano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
3. Increase heat to medium high and add ground beef with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes to pan with juice, crushing them in your hand as you add them to the pan.
5. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in fresh basil, adjust seasoning and serve over your favourite pasta with some shaved parmesan.